Duquette signs two more international prospects.

33rdst

These are the kind of under the radar moves DD makes that could pay big dividends for the future of this club. Notice they are young position players.

Diaz 17 from Mexico 6'2" 200 lbs first baseman.

Reyes 16 from DR 6'4" third baseman.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These are the kind of under the radar moves DD makes that could pay big dividends for the future of this club. Notice they are young position players.

Diaz 17 from Mexico 6'2" 200 lbs first baseman.

Reyes 16 from DR 6'4" third baseman.

Can you give us a source link? Thanks.

We don't know yet, but:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duquette said today's signings came from funds in O's international bonus pool. Fred Ferreira said they got "substantial bonuses."</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">January 30, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Now-that is some news! Thanks for posting. Might be quality afterall....

My point: just because we sign an international player-doesn't mean a hill of beans.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Ferreira compared Diaz to Kendrys Morales. And compared Reyes, going way back, to Clete Boyer at 3B for lateral movement, hands and range</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Ferreira says 3 other teams were interested in Diaz and at least 1/2 dozen were interested in Reyes. Says they got "substantial" bonuses</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

Dan sounds a little hyperbolic here. Clete Boyer? Kendreys Moralles? After all they are only 16 and 17 years old respectively.

When these 16 and 17 year olds are this big, it can only make you wonder. Even still, it sounds like these are two quality depth additions to a farm system that could use some position players.

And when Fred Ferreira compares a prospect to somebody, you have to think his word is pretty credible.

"These two kids are pretty exciting," Ferreira said. "Diaz puts on quite a show in any kind of batting practice and then he puts it in game situations. He's not just a workout player. The kid can project a high ceiling. He's got good actions around the first base bag. He's a legitimate first baseman. He's not going to be any kind of outfielder or at any other position. He's just a solid player with a big future ahead of him.

"Reyes is another very exciting player. I keep saying "very" because I truly mean this. They're very exciting and I'm glad to get the great cooperation from Dan to get this thing done and get both of them signed. They were very much sought by other clubs. Both players."

Reyes will stay at third base for now.

"Jomar has great actions great actions, great lateral movement around third base," Ferreira said. "He's shown exceptional bat power basically to all fields and he's a very exciting player. I'm very, very satisfied with these two signings."

Ferreira compared Diaz to Kendrys Morales because of his "mannerisms, and Reyes to Clete Boyer.

"His actions at third base, his lateral movement and hands and range, he's a picture of Clete Boyer," Ferreira said.

[Duquette confirmed that both players were signed from the international amateur pool, but the Orioles "still have some money available to sign some other players."

"Only a portion of Diaz counts against our bonuses because a portion of the acquisition cost went directly to the team," he added. "But we have additional funds available."

source - Roch

When these 16 and 17 year olds are this big, it can only make you wonder. Even still, it sounds like these are two quality depth additions to a farm system that could use some position players.

And when Fred Ferreira compares a prospect to somebody, you have to think his word is pretty credible.

Lebron at 17 dwarfs them. They are uncommon but I wouldn't say rare. That's why they get big bonuses to play pro sports.

Lebron at 17 dwarfs them. They are uncommon but I wouldn't say rare. That's why they get big bonuses to play pro sports.

Agreed, but still, it's hard not to wonder with the history of international players. Regardless, Roch's most recent piece addresses just this topic with Ferreira saying it is much easier to monitor now. I'll defer to the experts, and am genuinely excited about the influx of talent. Hard to understand how somebody who is 6'4 230 pounds can possibly have the range of a 6' 180 lb infielder in Boyer. But if that is true, this kid is some sort of prospect.

To be honest, I see this as a phenomenal thing. The Yankees have always signed Caribbean Latino youths and put them into their system at an early age. I have no problem forsaking FA pickups if we can fully stock the farm with incredible young talent.

However, here's hoping the Orioles farm system helps these guys reach their potential.

MSK

Archived